In your current role today, can you see the product you helped create built in a lab? In this role you can. You will interact with lab personnel on prototype concepts. You will be a part of new product design and you will have the opportunity to enhance commercial HVAC products and strengthen the Daikin brand.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor's degree (Mechanical or Equivalent)
- 5+ years of related experience (Higher level degree can be substituted for years of experience).
- Requires experience with turbomachinery preferably centrifugal compressors.
- Requires experience in common manufacturing capabilities and materials
- Requires solid fundamental understanding of mechanical engineering principles with focus on stress analysis, mechanics of materials, vibration, fatigue, and failure modes.
- Requires knowledge of centrifugal compressor component design such as gears, bearings, rotating equipment, motors, casting and machining parts.
- Experience in product testing and data acquisition, with emphasis on compressor performance validation.
- Strong team player with focus on team goals, team objectives, and team deadlines.
- Basic skills with CAD applications.
- Familiarity with global HVAC principles and practices and Mechanical component design standards (ASHRAE, GB, ISO, etc).
- Basic knowledge of test data analysis software and tools.
- Ability to work in dynamic environment, communicating effectively, clearly, and logically
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to support the development of highly variable products that can be dynamically configured at the time of order using rules-based engineering tools.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Creates and implements planning for compressor development including:
- Design and Review milestones
- Detailed and advanced centrifugal compressor design from each mechanical components to electrical components used in compressors. This includes the complete centrifugal compressor material selection, gear design, bearing design, housing design, rotor dynamic analysis of both single and multi-stage compressors.
- Evaluates all mechanical aspects to ensure the product designed and developed will meet life cycle requirements. This will include detail stress, vibration, modal, fatigue analysis of all designed components.
- Detailed involvement in all steps in the product development process/life cycle, from customer requirement, to design, to prototype manufacturing, to product qualification, to final product implementation and product launch.
- Derive component level requirements from assembly requirements to create part specifications and drawings:
- Communication with all suppliers and vendors to determine manufacturability.
- Participate in inspection results to ensure all designed parts are manufactured as specified, within specified tolerances
- Communicate and instruct designer to create specifications and check part drawings.
- Apply common manufacturing and inspection capabilities to choose materials and tolerances. Relevant experience with specifying tight tolerances and GD&T.
- Create robust design using DFMEA method during design, analysis and testing.
- Create pass/fail criteria of analysis and test results by applying reason and logic to fundamental mechanics.
- Use simulation tools to simulate design performance and reliability to support DFMEA
- Plan and develop test programs for prototypes using Design of Experiments as needed for complex problems with many variables
- Communicate and instruct lab technician to setup test and gather data to meet the test parameters and accuracy requirements.
- Analyze test data and reports, making clear conclusion if designs meet functional, performance, and safety specifications.
- Develops parts qualification process/procedure and makes decisions pass/fail from developed criteria.
- In depth involvement in all aspects of the test phase to validate design. Provides detailed analysis based on the mathematical, finite element analysis and experimental data.
- Provides accurate and precise product performance results for marketing and sales for product selection.
- Collaboration and communication with other teams in the product development process/projects to ensure final product meets all objectives and customer requirements in all product areas.
- Provides documentation, both high level, and detailed documentation, for all projects and tasks throughout the development process.
Equal Opportunity Employment: It is the policy of Daikin Applied to provide equal employment opportunity (EEO) to all persons regardless of race, creed, color, religion, gender, gender identification, sexual orientation, age, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, marital status, membership or activity in a local commission, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.