Are you ready to move your career forward, and start the BEST job of your life? Haskell is committed to providing you with the resources to help you grow and discover your potential. We promote an environment that encourages innovative ideas and allows you to develop the best "how" to get the job done.
Haskell's Design & Consulting Team unites architecture, engineering, and consulting professionals from across industries and geographies. Our diverse and innovative team allows Haskell to serve our clients with multiple project delivery methods including design-build, engineer-procure-construct, fee-for-service, or consulting services. These services allow our team to form a strong rapport with clients, marshalling them as they grow and helping them address industry and market challenges. The Design & Consulting Team serves a diverse set of markets including food and beverage, consumer products, aviation and aerospace, civil infrastructure, healthcare, and Federal Government projects. As a team member at Haskell, you'll have the opportunity to work on impactful projects that will challenge your creativity, innovation, and expand your skill set.
In this role, you will be responsible for the production of innovative, appropriate, cost-effective designs, drawings, and specifications in your discipline for assigned projects. You will maintain professional registration and sign/seal documents prepared under your supervision.
Application of Knowledge of Civil Engineering Applications (Conceptual Design)
- Leads project strategy meetings within discipline, develops design concepts and recommends systems, produces pricing and proposal presentation documents, and outlines specifications
- Researches and is responsible for discipline design compliance with proposal/client criteria
- Researches, documents and is responsible for discipline design compliance with all applicable codes, ordinances, standards, and regulations
- Awareness of resources to complete due diligence where limited information is provided
- Analysis Ability
- Identifies the basis of design for hydrology, hydraulics, site utilities, and erosion sediment control design approach
- Able to create clear, complete, and concise stormwater, water demand, and wastewater calculation reports
- Understands the methodology of civil interaction with geotechnical engineering
- Ability to engage civil design software, e.g. Civil 3D, ICPR, SSA, etc.
- Knowledge of coordinating and securing complex permit requirements
- Ability to create non-standard detailing
- Ability to detail appropriate site elements
- Understanding various authorities having jurisdiction standards
- Construction Documents
- Writes discipline specifications for assigned projects
- Coordinates work with other disciplines. Performs interdisciplinary coordination checks to minimize deficiencies, errors, and omissions in drawings and specifications
- Knowledge of modern civil engineering theories, procedures, and methods to solve a wide range of engineering problems
- Signs and seals design documents when assigned as Professional of Record. Maintains ethics and professionalism
- Construction Support
- Coordinate and administer the civil engineering/site work preconstruction meeting.
- Advises and assists Construction Project Managers, Superintendents, and Subcontractors in the interpretation and clarification of construction documents and responds to requests for information
- Reviews applicable shop drawings and submittal data for compliance with construction documents
- Actively pursues construction observations to monitor compliance with design intent, construction drawings, and specifications. Prepares observation reports
- Provides timely solutions to field problems and prepares field orders, addenda, and record drawings
- Conducts final project punch list observation and coordinates satisfactory response for substantial completion of civil site work elements
- Project Management
- Delegated authority to be the primary client interaction for civil engineering services
- Manages plan production and prepares man-hour estimate for project effort for all work in discipline
- Assures adherence to drawing production strategy. Responsible for the production of well-organized, finished drawings of good appearance, accuracy, clarity, and correctness
- Directs technical efforts of discipline Interns, designers, technicians, and subordinate engineers assigned to the project
- Assists in coordinating information with and monitoring efforts/costs of discipline-related outside consultants.
- Creates discipline work plan for assigned projects. Monitors workload status, advising supervisor of difficulties in accomplishing schedules
- Ability to actively engage in multiple project assignments and prioritize competing project demands
- Solicit proposals for design services by third parties and manage scope, budget, and schedule of consultants
- Planning, Scheduling, and Profitability
- Develop a civil design schedule to align with target dates for deliverables
- Prepare a strategic critical path schedule for transparent communication for realistic permitting timelines
- Assure that open permits are sufficiently closed out and terminated with applicable agencies
- Manage civil design budget to maintain a profitable margin while executing the basic services
- Identify and communicate design scope change orders to the design manager
- Assign and monitor appropriate civil staff to projects to assure fiscal efficiency
- Professional Development
- Participates in formulation and advocates compliance with discipline standards and procedures
- Participates in the professional community and trade organizations within discipline
- Identify continuing education opportunities to expand professional growth and advance the collective ability of the discipline
- Promote and encourage discipline staff to use innovative techniques to solve a variety of complex engineering problems
- Champion compliance to corporate standards and best practices
- Administer an environment for staff to excel, while coaching them to advance their careers
- Bachelor of Science in a related engineering field (Civil, Environmental, etc.)
- 10+ years of overall experience
- Minimum of eight years of engineering design experience, four years as a licensed professional
- Project experience on a variety of projects from simple to complex and small to large
Specific Knowledge, Skills, License, Certifications:
- Able to work with the client and other design disciplines to develop a project and get it to a construction level
- Proficient in managing projects through the permitting process
- Proficient in the design of commercial/industrial facilities and able to manage all aspects of design (geometry, utilities, grading, and drainage)
- Proficient in civil engineering design software such as AutoCAD Civil 3D, ICPR, AutoCAD Storm and Sewer Analysis, and HEC-HMS
- Autodesk Civil 3D (current version)
- Licensed Professional Engineer (Active)
Haskell offers a very robust and comprehensive benefits package! Some of our offerings are:
- Health, dental, and vision insurance plans
- Company provided hospital indemnity, accident and critical care plans
- Retirement savings plan (401k) with company discretionary matching contributions
- Employee Stock Ownership Plan
- Paid time off and nine company holidays
- Professional development and training opportunities to enhance your skills and advance your career
- Flexible work hours and remote work options
- Employee assistance programs for physical and mental well-being
- Opportunities for growth and advancement within the organization
Environmental Factors and/or Physical Requirements:
While performing the duties of this job, this position is required to have ordinary ambulatory skills sufficient to visit other locations; and the ability to stand, walk, stoop, kneel, crouch, and manipulate (lift, carry, move) light to medium weights of 10-50 pounds. Requires good hand-eye coordination, and arm, hand and finger dexterity, including the ability to grasp, and visual acuity to use a keyboard, operate equipment and read application/form information. The associate frequently is required to sit, reach with hands and arms, talk, and hear.
Equal Opportunity Employer/Protected Veterans/Individuals with Disabilities:
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, citizenship, disability, or protected veteran status.
Haskell will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990 and the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act of 2008. The job description will be reviewed periodically as duties and responsibilities change with business necessities. Essential and marginal job functions are subject to modification.
Haskell is a Drug-Free Workplace.