The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board (MPRB) is seeking seasonal Summer Camp Naturalist Instructors to work out of Kroening Nature Center at North Mississippi Regional Park to do the following:
- Plan, prepare and lead fun, hands-on, nature-based summer day camp sessions that promote positive outdoor, educational, and recreational experiences for campers ages 6-12
- Oversee camp participants' safety and well-being while helping to facilitate children's interactions with others and their surroundings by reinforcing principles of respect and responsibility
- Provide high-quality customer service and communication with parents/guardians while building positive relationships with campers as well as families
- Engage and encourage campers in learning, exploration, and skill development through positive experiences
- Successfully implement group management strategies while conducting camp. Appropriately identify and respond to camper behavioral issues as needed
- Maintain established standards of safety and recordkeeping practices
- Use materials and resources responsibly. Maintain clean work, and educational spaces
- Additional tasks as assigned
Work Season and Hours: This is a seasonal position, averaging 35-40 hours per week Monday-Friday. Camps run June 20th - Sept 1st, 2023. Required paid training the week of June 12th -16th.
Compensation: $18.00 per hour. This position is eligible for sick and safe leave in accordance with the Minneapolis Sick and Safe Time Ordinance. This position is not eligible for other benefits.
- Minimum of one season leading summer camp outdoors in an environmental education setting or similar
- Demonstrated success teaching diverse populations (especially children) in an outdoor setting
- Academic training in environmental education, ecology, natural history, teaching or similar
- Working knowledge of Minnesota flora, fauna and ecosystems
- Must be a strong leader, self-starter, and can accomplish tasks with little direct supervision
- Excellent customer service skills, a positive attitude, creativity, enthusiasm, and adaptability
- Strong problem-solving, organizational, communication, and public speaking skills
- Ability to maintain positivity and composure in times of stress while interacting with campers and co-workers
- Must be able to lift 30 lbs., hike uneven terrain, and work effectively in all weather conditions
Desired but Not Required:
- Previous experience developing programs, lesson plans or curriculum
- Previous program instruction that included live education animals
- Ability to communicate fluently in a second language: Spanish, Hmong, or Somali preferred
- CPR and First Aid Certification
This is a seasonal position, averaging 35-40 hours per week Monday-Friday. Camps run June 20th - Sept 1st, 2023. Required paid training the week of June 12th -16th.
Apply by submitting Cover letter and resume to Jeannette Lutter-Gardella,
Deadline to apply: Sunday, March 5, 2023
The Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board is an equal opportunity employer.