BTD is a fast growing metalworking company. We provide custom metalwork services for some of the world's top brands. Our 1000+ employees work from four facilities throughout the Midwest and Southeast. We invest in our people, our equipment, and our facilities to offer our clients the best value possible. We are also a wholly owned subsidiary of Otter Tail Corporation, a publicly traded company on NASDAQ.
Paint Manufacturing Engineer. Supports the Site Director of Operations and the Site Continuous Improvement Leader in achieving site objectives for safety, quality, delivery, productivity, and continuous improvement. Takes a lead role in the implementation and sustained use of lean methods and tools to bring about improved efficiency and business success. Implements the manufacturing plan developed by process engineering for new products.
Safety is #1 at BTD: Our expectation is that every employee: 1) Strictly follows safety policies, rules and safe work methods. 2) Promptly corrects or reports safety hazards or unsafe conditions. Promptly reports injuries for prompt diagnosis and treatment. 3) Makes regular suggestions for safety process improvements to support continuous improvement in safety.
- Supports the Site Continuous Improvement Leader in achieving site objectives for safety, quality, delivery, productivity, and continuous improvement.
- Participates in design review process to ensure manufacturability of new products; reviews prints, customer specifications, and solid model if provided.
- Executes First Run Capability assessments of new products and develops Standard Work Instructions to implement and improve the manufacturing plan provided by the process engineer.
- Leads or participates in root cause identification and corrective actions to resolve unsafe conditions or noncompliant material, process, or product.
- Facilitates a lean / kaizen event at least quarterly.
- Champions workspace organization (5S) within a production department. Serves as subject matter expert and mentor to leaders and operators.
- Champions autonomous maintenance (TPM) within a production department. Serves as subject matter expert and mentor to leaders and operators.
- Recommends and implements ideas to reduce variation, improve efficiency, and reduce costs by improving tooling, processing, and equipment use consistent with lean manufacturing practices; communicates these improvements to process engineering.
- Tracks and reports on metrics to show the results of lean activities and improvement events/efforts.
- Analyzes, calculates payback and recommends equipment for the manufacture of products.
- Contributes to the creation of the process flow diagrams, PFMEAs, and control plans as required for PPAP submission.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications, Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Experience and Skills Required:
- B.S. degree in business, scientific or technical field required. Demonstrated knowledge of lean manufacturing concepts and principles; Understanding of ISO or TS16949. Two (2) years directly related manufacturing experience preferred. Must possess a valid Driver's License.
- Demonstrated ability to see across functional boundaries, to see the whole business picture or enterprise. Ability to work collaboratively within a matrix organization.
- Strong problem-solving, root cause analysis, and cause prevention (error proofing) skills.
- Thorough, demonstrated knowledge of lean concepts and principles.
- Ability to work independently and show strong initiative and ownership of ideas and projects.
- Exceptional communication skills: written, oral, listening, computer, phone, and drawings.
- Strong ability to manage teams and projects.
- Understanding of ISO and other business process systems.
- Strong working knowledge of the equipment, materials, methods, and practices used in production operations.
- Ability to read, interpret and understand the use of production blueprints and specifications.
- Ability to convert manufacturing processing plans into action; provide implementation of planned processing.
- Can provide, communicate and implement ideas that improve safety, quality, delivery and cost in part processing.
- Adhere to BTD's employee safety manual.
- Ability to establish, encourage and maintain effective working relationships with others.
The qualifications listed above are guidelines. Other combinations of education and experience could provide the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform this job.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk or hear; taste or smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by the job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Work Environment: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee may be exposed to weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
2 years: Paint Experience, Manufacturing Experience, Preferable Solidworks Experience (required)