Senior Clinical Engineer - Massachusetts General Hospital
Position Description: Provide clinical engineering services to medical and research areas including selection, acquisition and service of medical devices, project management, technical investigations of clinical incidents, clinical/technical problem-solving, device design and solution of novel system and technical problems. May work with a project team comprised of engineers and technicians on a senior level. Educate medical and technical staff on medical technologies. Perform quality improvement activities and suggest innovative solutions to technical problems.
* Responsible for project through all stages of its lifecycle. Work with a multidisciplinary team of internal and external customers and stakeholders to identify the needs, coordinate the purchase, manage the installation, help organize the in-service training, plan for the handoff to day-to-day operations, and document the project.
* Prepare capital equipment purchases and prepare budgets with approval from Director or Assistant Director. Ensure accurate preparation and documentation of service and purchase requisitions within sphere of responsibility.
* Work with clinical or research departments to design, implement, and analyze studies for new medical equipment evaluations and trials.
* Evaluate safety and efficacy of medical devices. Proactively investigate cost-effectiveness of alternatives to current technologies. Lead quality improvement activities regarding medical equipment.
* Develop and help implement strategies for management of technology in assigned clinical areas or technologies. Help anticipate new technology needs and develop a proposal for purchase and replacement.
* Investigate clinical incidents involving medical devices and prepare and file appropriate reports (with department QA and Safety Coordinator), disseminate information regarding possible hazards and implements corrective action.
* Communicate to manufacturers about problems with medical devices, suggest improvements and work with manufacturers to make changes; ensure appropriate response.
* Act as a technical consultant to the clinical and technical staffs. Ensure that medical and technical personnel receive appropriate training and education in the operation of medical technology. Mentor clinical engineers and technical staff.
* Maintain a high level of knowledge of and advise hospital personnel of codes and regulations regarding clinical devices and support facilities.
* Maintain a strong level of Clinical Engineering expertise to act as a resource to the department.
* Serve on and lead internal and external hospital committees or working groups.
* Provide on-call response to administrative, management or technical problems.
* Responsible for the day-to-day guidance of a technical team consisting of any or all levels of Biomedical Equipment Technicians (BMET) and Clinical Engineers (CE).
Required Experience/Skills: Requires a Master's degree (or foreign equivalent) in Clinical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering, Bioengineering, or a directly related field plus four (4) year of experience in hospital-based engineering. Experience must include:
* Advanced skills in management of clinical or related engineering projects.
* Ability to diagnose and solve technical or system problems of a high degree of complexity.
* High level of knowledge of electronic, mechanical or computer engineering design and applications principles.
* Strong level of computer literacy and use of word processing, spreadsheets, databases, graphics, statistics, engineering tools and programming.
* Strong ability to interact and communicate with hospital clinical personnel.
* Demonstrated leadership ability.
* Demonstrated skills in technical writing, presentation, and teaching.
* Demonstrated medical device and clinical IT systems implementation in a hospital setting, including requirements planning, infrastructure needs, environment impact, and device-to-patient interface.
Qualified applicants apply online @ . Search Job Number .EEO Statement Massachusetts General Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer. By embracing diverse skills, perspectives and ideas, we choose to lead. Applications from protected veterans and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged.