Providence is calling a Resident Care Attendant/CNA (NAC) (Residential Care, Evening Shift, 0.8 FTE) to Providence Emilie Court Assisted Living in Spokane, Washington. We are a community of caregivers delivering every day on our Mission to provide compassionate care that is accessible for all - especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
In this position you will:
- Record all entries on flow sheets, notes, charts, etc., in an informative and descriptive manner. Use only authorized abbreviations established by this facility when recording information.
- Report all accidents and incidents on the shift that they occur. Monitors for environmental hazards.
- Answer telephone in a professional manner, records complete messages, and relays to proper channels.
- Ensure that resident's apartment is ready for receiving the resident with the name at the door of the apartment. Greet residents and escort them to their apartment. Introduces resident to other residents and personnel as appropriate. Assist with making the resident feel welcome. Assists residents with packing personal possessions when discharged, as requested by resident or family. Escort residents to lobby as needed. Assist with loading/unloading residents from vehicles as necessary.
- Perform all assigned tasks in accordance with established policies and procedures, and as instructed by supervisors. Follow work assignments, and/or work schedules in completing and performing assigned tasks. Cooperates with inter-departmental personnel, as well as other facility personnel to ensure nursing services can be adequately maintained to meet the needs of residents. Create and maintain an atmosphere of warmth, personal interest and positive emphasis, as well as a calm environment throughout the unit and shift. Notify the facility of lateness to, or absence from, work by speaking directly to administrative staff.
- Meet with assigned shift's nursing personnel on a regularly scheduled basis to assist in identifying and correcting problem areas, and/or the improvement of services. Report all complaints and grievances made by the resident to the Administrator or Director of Nursing (DON) as appropriate.
- Report occupational exposures to blood, body fluids, infectious materials, and hazardous chemicals to supervisor. Participate in, and receive, the nursing report upon reporting for duty. Follows established policies concerning exposure to blood/body fluids.
- Assist residents with daily dental and mouth care (e.g.,, brushing teeth,/dentures, oral hygiene, special mouth care) per Negotiated Service Plan (NSP). Assist residents with shower functions (e.g., bed baths, tub or shower baths) as directed per NSP. Assist residents with dressing/undressing as necessary per NSP. Assist residents with nail care (e.g., clipping, trimming, and cleaning the finger/toenails), except for diabetic residents per NSP. Assist with shaving male residents per NSP.
- Change bed linens and/or makes bed per NSP. Assist with, or provides, laundry services per NSP. Assists with housekeeping services as assigned.
- Assist resident with bowel and bladder management (e.g., takes to bathroom, offers bedpan/urinal, portable commode) per NSP. Collect specimens (e.g., urine, sputum) as instructed.
- Remind and encourage residents to attend activity and social programs, (e.g, church services, parties). Assist in transporting residents to/from appointments, activity and social programs as necessary. Assist residents in walking with or without self-help devices as instructed per NSP.
- Answer resident calls promptly. Completes and records resident vital signs (weight, BP, Pulse, respiration, temp) as instructed. Assist residents with self administration of medications as instructed by RN. Follow Nurse Delegation guidelines for dispensing medications. Monitor medications and supplies, and orders as necessary in accordance with established policies. Document and report adverse signs and symptoms as instructed by RN. Ensure narcotic records are accurate for all shifts. Report discrepancies to RN immediately. Dispose of medications in accordance with established procedure.
- Notify MD when residents are involved in an accident or incident. Receive faxed orders from MD, notify RN and provides information as trained. Observe and report to the RN the presence of pressure areas and skin breakdown to prevent decubitus ulcers (bedsores). Report injuries of an unknown source, including skin tears and records in resident's notes. Provide daily perineal care as requested and noted on NSP. Assist with application of slings, elastic bandages, binders, etc. as noted on NSP.
- Monitor disoriented residents. Records and reports data as instructed. Turn all non- self-medications found in the resident's apartment/possession over to the RN. Watch for and reports any change in room temperature, ventilation, lighting, etc. to maintenance.
- Assist residents to meals as requested. Introduces residents to other residents at the table. Serve beverages and meals. Assist with cutting food, supervision, etc. as requested. Report changes in resident's eating habits and reports to the Administrator and DON. Encourage resident fluid intake or monitors if on fluid restrictions. Escort resident to apartment as requested by resident and noted on NSP. Provide between-meal and bedtime snacks, available from dietary or resident apartment.
- May update family of significant changes in condition (i.e. incidents, death), as directed. Follows up with funeral home as needed.
Required qualifications for this position include:
- Must be a Certified Nursing Assistant (CNA) or a Home Care Aide (HCA) in accordance with laws of Washington State
- Food Handler's Permit (or must obtain within 14 days of hire)
- Within 30 days of hire: CPR and First Aid Cards and 7.5 hours AIDS related training
- Within 90 days of hire: DSHS approved Dementia and Mental Health classes
About the ministry you will serve.
Providence Emilie Court Assisted Living provides assisted living on the tree-lined streets of the Providence Sacred Heart Medical Center & Children's Hospital. Emilie Court offers private apartments and a rich quality of life to seniors in a vibrant urban environment.
We offer comprehensive, best-in-class benefits to our caregivers. For more information, visit
As expressions of God's healing love, witnessed through the ministry of Jesus, we are steadfast in serving all, especially those who are poor and vulnerable.
Providence is a comprehensive not-for-profit network of hospitals, care centers, health plans, physicians, clinics, home health care and services continuing a more than 100-year tradition of serving the poor and vulnerable. Providence is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. Providence does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, disability, veteran, military status, religion, age, creed, national origin, sexual identity or expression, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information, or any other basis prohibited by local, state, or federal law.
Job Category: Certified Nursing Assistant
Req ID: 349684