Lead project engineer - train control
Our rail systems team in New York, NY is looking for a professional with 10 to 15 years of Signal / Train Control engineering and/or Project Engineering experience including approximately 5 years of CBTC-related experience. The Train Control Engineer will be leading the engineering development of transit-based Train Control projects in the New York and surroundings market.
- Support our clients by providing broad experience-based engineering, system integration, and delivery-focused leadership to large Rail Systems upgrades programs with a focus on train control upgrades including projects using communications-based train control technology.
- Provide engineering management and organizational oversight of Train Control engineers deployed to projects. Manage the engineering and system integration to ensure ongoing quality of service to Client in accordance with the requirements of the Agreement.
- Provide technical, including systems integration and assurance oversight for rail systems projects involving the delivery of new, and upgrade of existing train control systems including the implementation of Communications-Based Train Control technologies. This will include managing technical reviews of design and submittals against Contract requirements.
- Provide advisory program, installation, and construction contract management services on behalf of the Owner. This advisory role will consider the contractors construction schedule, scope and contract changes, actual cost against budget, project risk.
- Assist in the establishment and growth of a successful delivery team with an emphasis on collaboration with Client and Contractor, technical and location familiarity, and the achievement of success through partnership and teamwork.
- Communicate directly with the Owner Engineering Executive and Project Management Office on all extents of Train Control systems for the program.
- Ensure engineering leadership and delivery effort considers all aspects of successful delivery of train control upgrades with a thorough understanding of the spectrum of related works that are required.
- Provide detailed analysis and solutions to emerging technical problems.
- Provide expertise in the preparation and production of contract documentation, including applicable specifications or performance criteria
- Provide engineering leadership and oversight in the identification and management of systems interfaces. Ensure all relevant stakeholders are engaged such that interfaces are considered and appropriately managed within the appropriate projects. Be prepared to take a lead role in the identification and resolution of interfaces.
- Provide leadership and oversight in the review of Contractor Train Control documentation, from concept layouts through detailed plans to high system integrity procedures for integrated testing.
- Provide leadership and oversight of Contractor activities including product choice, installation means and methods, management of risk, testing and commissioning plans and reporting.
- Ensure a quality process is implemented for any design, upgrades, manufacturing, installation and/or testing & commissioning project phases
- Oversee and manage sub-contracted consultants to ensure timely delivery of the required technical and project documentation
- Coordinate and communicate with other functional groups of the team including program management, design management, construction management and interface management.
- Provide engineering oversight and technical support for the commissioning of train control systems
- Report high-level program and regular progress to the team and to the Owner.
Our team of professionals provides cost-effective and innovative engineering solutions for the North American transportation and infrastructure industry with unprecedented success. We're looking for a Project Engineer, Train Control / CBTC Upgrades to join our team to continue this progress, and invite applications from candidates with:
- 10 to 15 years of experience in the management of Train Control projects
- Experience working for transit agencies in the New York metropolitan area is an advantage
- Ideally 5 years of experience with CBTC design and construction projects
- Proven team leader, with refined staffing, development and deployment skills
- Proven collaborator and partner, delivering success through influence and collaboration
- Focus on client requirements including technical, schedule and budget
- Capable of completing work in a controlled environment to meet budget and schedule requirements
- Preferrable work experience at a transit agency, train signalling supplier, or consulting firm
- Excellent written, verbal and interpersonal communications skills
- A bachelor's degree in Engineering or related subject or equivalent education.
- New York PE license is preferred
Salary Range: $115,000 - $130,000
Benefits: 401k, medical, dental and vision insurance, STD/LTD disability, holiday, vacation and sick time, parental leave and company paid life insurance
Here at Mott MacDonald, we are experts in engineering, management, and development services supporting multisector project work in over 150 countries. One of the largest employee-owned companies in the world, we pride ourselves in our ability to deliver exceptional outcomes through the connected thinking of our 16,000+ talented consultants. Sustainability and innovation are at the heart of all of our sectors which, in North America include Advisory, Built Environment, Energy, Transportation, and Water.
Equality, diversity and inclusion
We put equality, diversity and inclusion at the heart of our business, seeking to promote fair employment procedures and practices to ensure equal opportunities for all. We encourage individual expression in our workplace and are committed to creating an inclusive environment where everyone feels they have the opportunity to contribute.
Equal employment opportunity is the law. English version, Spanish version, Chinese version.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, citizenship status or disability status.
Hybrid working policy
At Mott MacDonald, we believe it makes business sense for you and your manager to choose how you can work most effectively to meet your client, team, and personal commitments. We offer a hybrid working policy that embraces your well-being, flexibility, and trust.
More about Mott MacDonald
We're a global engineering, management and development consultancy.
Our purpose is to improve society by considering social outcomes in everything we do, relentlessly focusing on excellence and digital innovation, transforming our clients' businesses, our communities and employee opportunities.
A fundamental part of this is respecting each person's differences and striving to meet their needs.
Our values: progress, respect, integrity, drive, excellence
Railways, Systems and signals
Rail and metros
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, creed, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status or disability status.