What You Will Do:
Medical Assistant PRN - Float
UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center
PRN - Day - Float
Glen Burnie, MD
The Power of Caring
Within all of us there is untold power. An unstoppable strength. A desire to do more.
At University of Maryland Baltimore Washington Medical Center, we know that caring can't be taught, it's something that comes naturally.
We're looking for talented professionals to join our extraordinary Medical Assitant Team at UM Baltimore Washington Medical Center - named Top Workplace in the Baltimore area by The Baltimore Sun two years in a row (2019 & 2020); Named !
As part of the acclaimed University of Maryland Medical System, our facility is one of three designated hospitals in Maryland and features one of the state's busiest emergency departments, as well as a team of experts who care for our community and one another. As a Top 10 Maryland hospital ranked by U.S. News and World Report, UM BWMC is the pulse that keeps Anne Arundel County moving forward.
Under general supervision, the Float Medical Assistant will be responsible for a variety of functions as they relate to front and back offices duties as well as patient referrals, patient care and medical records in the various clinics where help is required. Percentage of time in each function will vary according to the patient caseload and business need of Baltimore Washington Medical Center (BWMC).
Principal Responsibilities and Tasks
The following statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. These are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all job duties performed by personnel so classified.
- Office Assistant Function:
- Greets patients courteously and promptly.
- Assures that all patients are registered and that all demographic information is updated.
- Verifies patient insurance information and updates in the system.
- Assures all patients paperwork is correct and put in the patients chart for the physicians.
- Batches up encounters and process for the billing department daily.
- Referral Function:
- Performs all data entry, ICD10 CM coding of outpatient referrals. Reviews all outpatient referrals for benefit coverage, eligibility and appropriate providers for various managed care contracts in timely and efficient manner.
- Serves as a contract resource for providers and staff. Attends meetings and managed care training sessions as necessary to support managed care contracts.
- Answers telephone referral requests and coordinates authorization process with payers and providers. Reviews pending claims for authorization and coordinate resolution of payment with Managers.
- Maintains adequate supply of referral forms and manuals to meet the needs of patients and staff.
- Medical Assistant Function:
- Gathers and documents brief history and chief complaint in the medical record. To include medication documentation, and other orders as instructed by the practice. Follows established guidelines to obtain necessary testing based on the chief complaint prior to the exam. Prepares patient for examination by the health care provider. This includes taking vitals, blood pressure and temperature.
- Performs routine office testing, including but not limited to; urinalysis, vision testing, hearing screening, pulmonary function testing, temperature, pulse and blood pressure. Obtains necessary blood and urine specimens.
- Assists provider with procedures and minor surgical procedures. Administers and documents injections and other medications given. Sterilizes all reusable instruments and equipment as needed.
- Assists provider with clarification of patient instruction such as, diagnostic test preparation, and medication administration.
- Maintains necessary supplies in clinical area.
- Medical Records Function:
- Assembles patient medical records, portions of medical records and loose reports/documents in pre-established filing order preparing them for filing according to specific practice guidelines. Files individual patient reports into appropriate medical records.
- Files medical records in the established order, generally terminal digit, in the appropriate file locations.
- Assigns medical record numbers for new patient records by searching for old/existing medical record number or creating a new one.
- Handles, and refers as appropriate, telephone calls and walk-in requestors, e.g. visitors, patients and physicians requesting medical record information, and correspondence information.
- Follows UMMS and departmental policies and procedures, as well as relevant medical records regulations, with particular respect to medical records and release of patient information.
- Performs related duties as required.
As a member of our team, you'll experience:
- A supportive and collaborative work environment.
- A comprehensive benefits package including health, vision and dental coverage including prescription drug coverage - Tax-Free Savings Plans, Tuition Reimbursement and more!
- Work Life Balance: You'll accrue annual leave; we offer dependent care reimbursement, short/long term disability and an employee assistance program.
- Growth & Educational Assistance: We support your continuing education and career advancement by offering tuition reimbursement & continuing education options.