Never settle, dig deeper.
Our Core Values
- Deliberately Safe We believe all safety incidents are avoidable when everyone operates with a deliberate mindset. We are deliberately proactive and thorough in training and job planning. We are deliberately safe in our everyday operations and decision-making.
- Build with Intention We build with intention. Whether in the office or the field, we work with grit and determination toward a better future for everyone involved. We leave things better than we found them, and never leave a job until we're proud to put the Veit name on it.
- Leaders Dig First Egos have no place at Veit. We expect everyone on our team to dig in with a leadership mentality. That means being willing to jump in, take ownership, and get mud on our boots - especially when times get challenging.
- Real Relationships Like our work, we approach relationships authentically, with a long-term mindset. Whether you're a client partner, vendor, or team member, we make an effort to build a more meaningful connection with you by communicating with respect and honesty.
- Integrity in Everything As part of the Veit family, everything we do and say reflects on this entire company. We act with integrity, which means treating others just as we want to be treated, doing the right thing, and holding ourselves accountable.
Veit is one of the country's leading specialty contractors, with over 90 years of experience and the best people in the industry. We pride ourselves on our relentless pursuit to push the construction industry forward and deliver for our customers. Our modern fleet of iron, diverse expertise, and unmatched determination allow us to successfully tackle some of the largest and most complex projects across every sector while also living out our values every day. Our company culture is one where everyone pitches in to get the job done, regardless of job title or seniority. We do everything we can to maintain an atmosphere where family comes first. We want every one of our employees to look forward to each day at work and make it home safe and happy at the end of the day.
The utilities pipelayer is responsible for providing physical labor at construction project sites. May operate hand and power tools of all types: air hammers, earth tampers, cement mixers, small mechanical hoists, surveying and measuring equipment, and a variety of other equipment and instruments. May clean and prepare sites, dig trenches, set braces to support the sides of excavations, and clean up rubble, debris, and other waste materials. May assist other craft workers. This posting is for current and future Pipelayer openings within Veit & Company.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform a variety of tasks involving strenuous manual labor at construction project sites.
- Ensure that proper safety and incident reporting procedures are followed. Bring any concerns to the attention of the project Foreman, Superintendent, General Superintendent, Safety Director or management.
- Load and unload trucks and haul and hoist materials.
- Maintain a clean job site at all times. Pick up all material, tools, and small equipment and secure job site each day in order to eliminate potential hazards.
- Material handling and storage.
- Assist in identifying and ensuring that any underground and overhead utilities have been located/exposed prior to excavating.
- Review trenching requirements with Superintendent and ensure any required protection is available.
- Keep project Foreman, Superintendent, or General Superintendent informed of known actions, written or verbal, which may affect the ability to successfully perform tasks at construction project sites or adversely affect Company operations.
- Other projects or duties as assigned by management.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- High school diploma or equivalent, six to twelve months of construction experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- OSHA 10, First Aid/CPR, and demonstrated knowledge of applicable safety precautions and procedures.
- Experience reading and interpreting construction drawings (plans/blueprints).
- Ability to read and comprehend grade stakes. Must be able to calculate grades.
- Experience setting up and utilizing a pipe laser.
- Experience using an eye-level (transit).
- Knowledge and ability to work with equipment, materials, and supplies found in construction work. Ability to follow proper use and safety guidelines at all times.
- Ability to view and understand Veit's safety training video.
- Willingness and ability to perform manual work.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing with coworkers, vendors, and other business associates.
- Ability to understand, follow and transmit written and oral instructions. Must have good interpersonal skills.
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts. Ability to apply concepts such as fractions, percentages ratios, and proportions to practical situations.
- Must be able to pass a pre-employment drug test.
- Must be at least 18 years of age.
- Union affiliation or willingness to take the necessary steps to join the union.
- Position requires 8 to 10-hour work days and occasional weekends, as needed. Must be flexible in regards to work hours.
- Must be willing to travel as needed.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Ability to perform manual work requiring periods of extensive physical exertion and potential exposure to adverse weather conditions. Required to lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Often required to sit, stand, walk, bend knees, stretch arms, stoop, kneel, talk and hear.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those employees encountered while performing the essential functions of this job. Employee is exposed to environmental conditions, working near machines and loud noises associated with construction sites. Exposed to variable weather conditions including rain, snow, wind, cold and heat. Also exposed to variable terrain.
VEIT does not accept recruiting agency solicitations.