We are a small privately-owned funeral home with three locations serving Lake, Cook, and DuPage counties in Illinois looking to hire a qualified professional to serve as Funeral Director/Embalmer with special emphasis on embalming. The purpose of this position is to make funeral arrangements, embalm, conduct funerals, and otherwise fulfill daily duties to allow smooth operation of the business. This is a permanent Full-Time salaried position.
- Care for the deceased in a respectful manner while performing a variety of tasks which includes removals and transfers with lifting of deceased human (250lbs), from private residence, hospital, or nursing home.
- Embalm, disinfect, & preserve the deceased along with creating an aesthetically pleasing appearance without assistance. Have working knowledge of the embalming process, chemicals, fluids, and general working prep room paraphernalia, casketing, dressing, and cosmetics is expected.
- Be on-call to answer and respond to needs, understand, and utilize the answering service, and perform removal in a timely (usually within one hour).
- Meet with families and manage all funeral, visitation and service arrangements and the ability to clearly explain options with solid understanding of the GPL, complete all forms, necessary documents, signatures, and follow-through with scheduling services including church, cemetery, order merchandise, submit obituaries, file death certificate, book livery or personnel as needed, etc.
- Adhere to all professional, municipal, state, and federal licensing authority, regulations, and rules applicable to provision of funeral services.
- Supervise/assist in funeral services by overseeing the parking of cars; ushering; pallbearer assignment, driving funeral vehicles; assisting at chapel and church services; assisting at the cemetery; delivering of flowers, caskets, urn, photos and other personal keepsakes or mementos of families; and overall chapel preparation.
- * Coordinate international ship-outs/intakes and understanding of documentation and necessary certifications/filings.
- Demonstrate basic understanding and respect for diverse religious beliefs, traditions, and cultural differences.
- Maintain and build strong relationships with external funeral officials and organizations such as cemeteries, churches, senior worship leadership, etc.
- Adhere to professional funeral formal attire dress code requirements (suit, tie, jacket, etc.).
- Support overall cleanliness and maintenance of both outside and inside of funeral home.
- Timeliness and regular attendance are an essential expectation of performance.
- Meet with families to coordinate grave marker and monument orders and documentation.
- Perform all technical computer requirements for job responsibilities and be competent in funeral related applications that include IVRS, OneDrive, case management software, MS Office, website navigation, email, digital signature software and any other required technology.
- Run errands and pick-up documentation from funeral related townships or affiliations
- Manage & maintain inventory of supplies, anticipating needs, place orders, and verifying receipt.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Detail oriented, strong written and verbal communication skills with a high level of integrity.
- Must demonstrate compassion, calmness, & the ability to manage stressful or conflicting situations and environments appropriately.
- Demonstrate appropriate behavior with caring demeanor with a sense of empathy with family members and guests.
- Excellent problem-solving skills, ability to think and react quickly and multi-task.
- Reliable, dependable, and flexible with ability to adjust schedule as needed for on-demand or evening and weekend funeral events.
- Ability to multi-task and set priorities. Highly organized and ability to maintain filing systems and overall office operations.
- Capability to discuss finances and understand basic funeral funding and calculations.
- Support needs at all funeral home locations and collaborate with staff.
- Be open-minded and possess a willingness to learn and accept new innovative approaches to funeral planning.
- Team oriented and a self-starter with the ability to work independently and be accountable for your time and tasks.
- Strong technical skills and knowledge of necessary operational equipment and software to perform office responsibilities.
- Basic knowledge of religious and fraternal organizations customs
Certification License & Experience
Current Illinois Funeral Director/Embalmer license
Current state issued driver's license with an acceptable driving record
2+ years licensure experience as a Funeral Director & Embalmer
Fluent in English. Bilingual is a plus (Serbian, Ukrainian, Polish, Russian)
Pass background check
Hours, Salary, Benefit:
Work schedule will include working 10 of 14 days including every other weekend (Saturday & Sunday). Standard work hours are 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (may have to start earlier or stay later depending on the situation).
Medical & Dental Healthcare Benefits Available
401k Retirement Plan (after 6 months of employment)