Our purpose is to serve the nation with the single most trusted and capable health information network, built to increase patient safety,lower costs and ensure quality care.
The Performance Engineer is responsible for ensuring that production systems are scaled to support new products and traffic growth.
- Collaborate with the Software Development teams to ensure best practices related to dependency handling, scalability, and performance monitoring are part of the design.
- Maintain the test framework to support post-deployment and performance testing in production environment. Collaborate with SREs and Software Engineers to develop tests for all products.
- Design and implement dashboards and alerts to assist with systems scaling and performance evaluation.
- Proactively address performance issues and scalability concerns.
- Serve as a subject matter expert on all matters related to the service operations and a first level of escalation for any issues. Troubleshoot and provide root cause analysis for issues spanning code, network, database and systems components.
- Assist SREs in development of product specific scalability requirements.
- Ensure the infrastructure meets performance and capacity requirements.
- Understand application dependencies, review dependency handling and health checks. Evaluate whether the dependency reliability is adequate to meet SLOs
- Participate in on-call rotation
- Bachelor degree in computer science, information sciences or related field or equivalent experience
- Ability to analyze network traces and troubleshoot application performance problems
- Ability to conceptualize a distributed service, it's dependencies and the transactional flow
- Experience with Unix/Linux and Windows operating system administration and networking architecture
- 4+ years proven development skills in one or more programming languages: Python, Java, Go, Ruby, shell scripting or similar
- 2+ years of software development, automation, or infrastructure as code experience
- 2+ years of experience in Performance Engineering, and Capacity, Scalability and Reliability Management fields
- 2+ years of experience with performance monitoring tools: Influx, Splunk, AppDynamics, New Relic, Data Dog or similar
- Cloud infrastructure as code experience, e.g., Terraform, CloudFormation
- Experience with configuration management tools Ansible, Chef, Puppet, Salt, and application schedulers like Kubernetes, Nomad, DockerSwam.
- Experience monitoring/supporting Kafka, IBM MQ.
- Experience querying SQL and No SQL databases. Familiarity with Oracle, Hadoop or Cassandra database architecture.
- Experience building CI/CD tools (Jenkins, Teamcity) for a production application in an enterprise environment
- Demonstrated ability to triage processing bottlenecks
- Experience with monitoring systems: Influx, Splunk, Zenoss, AppDynamics or similar
- Experience troubleshooting certificate issues and PKI infrastructure
- Experience evaluating and implementing new technical solutions
Physical and Mental Requirements
While performing duties of this job, an employee may be required to perform any, or all of the following: attend meetings in and out of the office, travel (sometimes extensively), communicate effectively (both orally and in writing), and be able to effectively use computers and other electronic and standard office equipment with, or without, a reasonable accommodation. Additionally, this job requires certain mental demands, including the ability to use judgement, withstand moderate amounts of stress and maintain attention to detail with, or without, a reasonable accommodation.
Surescripts is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action employer. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, medical condition, marital status, pregnancy, genetic information, gender, sexual orientation, parental status, gender identity, gender expression, veteran status, or any other status protected under federal, state, or local law.
Surescripts participates in E-Verify.
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Disabled/Vets