At HDR, we specialize in engineering, architecture, environmental and construction services. While we are most well-known for adding beauty and structure to communities through high-performance buildings and smart infrastructure, we provide much more than that. We create an unshakable foundation for progress because our multidisciplinary teams also include scientists, economists, builders, analysts and artists. That's why we believe diversity is our greatest strength. HDR is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and an affirmative action employer.
Watch our video
We believe that the way we work can add meaning and value to the world. That ideas inspire positive change. That coloring outside the lines can illuminate fresh perspectives. And that small details yield important realizations. Above all, we believe that collaboration is the best way forward.
As a power delivery professional are you looking for a new "home" where your employer's values are aligned with yours? Are you interested in a company that is diverse and inclusive and takes extraordinary efforts to create high performance teams? Are you interested in a company that has a strong local presence supported by national experts in power delivery and provides you with opportunities to work on transformational projects throughout the US? Are you interested in a firm that is a firm that is 100-percent employee owned with full transparency of financial results and a solid record of performance year-to-year? If you answered yes to any or all of these questions, HDR may be a new home for you.
The primary duties of the Substation Communication Project Engineer include responsibility for knowledge and execution of the technical aspects and deliverables of substation communication projects. This person should be an experienced, competent engineer who has a good understanding of all commonly used substation equipment, and the SCADA functions associated with that equipment. It is required to have a working knowledge of substation protection and control schemes, RTU's, HMI's, PLC's, I/O devices, communication processors, Ethernet networks and equipment, serial communications, LAN/WAN devices and topology, fiber optics, radio communications, common communication protocols, and applicable device configuration software. Familiarity with SCADA communication aspects of protective relay settings and associated software is also required.
* Complete all technical requirements of substation communication projects of basic to moderate complexity.
* Support substation project scoping efforts by reviewing existing communication infrastructure, current utility standards and best practices to provide a project communication recommendation to the design team.
* Complete technical reviews of substation protection and control schematic diagrams from a communication and/or SCADA perspective.
* Develop RTU and EMS points lists and documentation of RTU data.
* Develop configurations for RTU's, HMI's, I/O devices, meters, PLC's, communication processors, and network devices using proprietary software packages.
* Execute testing and troubleshooting of device configurations in a lab environment.
* Coordination of protective relay communication port parameters and data maps with system protection engineers.
* Coordination of EMS database changes with utilities.
* Provide technical and troubleshooting support for field technicians. This will primarily be via telephone and email, although on-site support will also be required on an as-needed basis.
* Responsible for quality control reviews of communication projects from peers and/or other teams on an as needed basis.
* Works independently and may direct, mentor, train, and/or supervise efforts of less-experienced EIT's and/or Designers.
* Work with Business Class Leaders to identify and develop specific technical expertise and will attend training and seminars focused on further development and understanding of complex concepts related to their discipline.
* May also assist with developing technical papers and/or presentations that showcase HDR's technical capabilities at industry conferences or other events.
* Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering
* 5+ years of experience in substation communication and SCADA engineering is required.
* Specific experience performing aspects associated with substation communication and SCADA engineering including the following:
o Novatech suite of Orion RTU's and associated NCD3 software.
o SEL suite of automation controllers including SEL-2440/2411 DPAC's, SEL-3530/3555 RTAC's and SEL-2020/2030/2032 communication processors and associated AcSELerator Quickset/Architect/RTAC and SEL-5020 software.
o GE/Harris D20 RTU's and associated ConfigPro and SG Config software.
o ACS/NTX automation controllers and RTU retrofit kits including NTX Explorer software.
o Novatech/Bitronics meter configuration.
o Schneider Electric/Modicon suite of Compact, Quantum, and M340 PLC platforms and associated Concept, Unity, and FasTrack software.
o Total Control/GE QuickPanels and associated QuickDesigner software.
o Citect SCADA HMI software.
o DNP, Modbus, Modbus Plus, IEC-61850/GOOSE, and Conitel protocols (TCP/IP and serial)
o Basic familiarity with usage of relay test set equipment (Omicron, Manta, Doble, etc.)
* Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office applications
* Previous experience with an electric utility or architectural/engineering or engineering consulting firm desired.
* An attitude and commitment to being an active participant of our employee-owned culture is a must.
* Some travel may be required.
* Local candidates are preferred.
At HDR, we know work isn't only about who you work for; it's also about what you do and how you do it. Led by the strength of our values and a culture shaped by employee ownership, we network with each other, build on each other's contributions, and collaborate together to make great things possible. When you join HDR, we give you license to do the same. We help you take charge of your career, giving you multiple growth opportunities along the way.