HID Global powers the trusted identities of the world's people, places and things. Every day millions of people in more than 100 countries use our products and services to securely access physical and digital places. Over 2 billion things that need to be identified, verified and tracked are connected through HID Global's technology. We make it possible for people to transact safely, work productively and travel freely. We work with governments, universities, hospitals, financial institutions and some of the most innovative companies on the planet-helping them to create trusting and trusted physical and digital environments so that they and the people who use them can fulfill their potential. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, HID Global has over 3,500 employees worldwide and operates international offices that support more than 100 countries. HID Global is an ASSA ABLOY Group brand. For more information, visit .
About Mercury Security:
Mercury Security, located in Long Beach, California, is the global leader in the design, manufacture and supply of access control security technology. Mercury Security is part of HID Global, the provider of trusted identities to the world's people, places and things.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive compensation package that includes medical, dental, vision, life insurance, 401k, flex spending and Flexible Time Off to qualifying employees. Mercury is a casual working environment.
As a leader of the collaborative hardware engineer team, the Director of Hardware Engineer will be instrumental in the specification and development of commercial hardware products. The Director of Engineer, with minimal supervision, will manage a team of 3-4 engineers and work closely with systems, hardware, software, security, and other engineers to ensure timely delivery of quality products. This position will also work closely with product and program managers, customers, and third parties as necessary, providing expertise and support throughout the product lifecycle.
The Director of Engineering position responsibilities include:
- Design hardware for high tech security system including analog circuit for measurement and control, Signal conditioning, Power supply, Digital circuit for embedded system.
- Manage and provide technical guidance to engineering teams and top management.
- Lead the hardware roadmap; apply strategic thinking to solve challenges in our target markets.
- Coordinate development activities with resources inside and outside of business area.
- Lead design verification and EMC/EMI test.
- Design transfer into production and ECO (Engineering Change Order).
- Facilitate and participate in risk analysis reviews.
- Develop proof-of-concept, performance evaluation and Design of Experiments.
- Team member/lead responsible for the development of controller products in accordance with our Product Development Process.
- Leading the development of product requirements.
- Working with the cross-functional team to define the system architecture.
- Defining product conformance/qualification test plans and criteria, supporting test with timely resolution of issues found.
- Analyzing and solving complex hardware issues.
- Supporting and encouraging a philosophy of cooperation within the group and being both a role model and mentor for more junior engineers with minimal supervision from VP of Engineering.
- Will require some travel when necessary
- Bachelor's degree desired in electrical engineering.
- 7+ years of engineering experience in hardware development.
- Experience developing products through its full life cycle (specification, circuit design, component selection, PCB design, manufacturing support).
- Previous work experience with embedded products
- Understanding of EMC/EMI problems, solutions and industry standards, their measurement and simulation.
- Knowledge and experience in designing products to UL/CSA/CE standards.
- Design of Microprocessor / Micro controller-based systems
- Ability to work on complex tasks with minimal technical guidance.
- Good communication skills.
- Ability to work out of the Long Beach location.
- Experience using OrCAD for schematic design and entry
- Experience with Cadstar or other similar PCB design software
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Self-sufficient, multi-disciplined hands on approach experienced in smaller development teams
- Simulation experience a plus
- Experience applying six sigma methodologies
- Ability to work in a fast paced, multi-tasking environment
- Ability to define optimum system elements to meet requirements
- The candidate must have exceptionally good knowledge of real-time design and embedded operating systems and be familiar with the OSI communication standard
- Experience with agile development and CMMI are preferred
- Strong understanding of Embedded Software and C programming is desired
- Firmware experience as related to embedded systems
The position of Director of Engineering will be compensated with a base salary commensurate with experience and meeting the above requirements and a benefits package.
- Position requires very limited amount of travel both air and land.
- Ability to communicate professionally with employees at all levels of the organization.
- Ability to prioritize, organize and plan your workload effectively.
- Competence to build and effectively manage interpersonal relationships at all levels.
- Compliance to all relevant HID Global policies and procedures related to Quality, Security, Safety, Business Continuity, and Environmental systems.
- Must be legally eligible to work in the United States.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employees works primarily in a well-ventilated, moderate noise level, office environment.
HID Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
If you have a disability which limits your ability to apply online, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, to submit your expression of interest in a position with our Company.