HID Global powers the trusted identities of the world's people, places and things. Every day millions of people in more than 100 countries use our products and services to securely access physical and digital places. Over 2 billion things that need to be identified, verified and tracked are connected through HID Global's technology. We make it possible for people to transact safely, work productively and travel freely. We work with governments, universities, hospitals, financial institutions and some of the most innovative companies on the planet-helping them to create trusting and trusted physical and digital environments so that they and the people who use them can fulfill their potential. Headquartered in Austin, Texas, HID Global has over 3,500 employees worldwide and operates international offices that support more than 100 countries. HID Global is an ASSA ABLOY Group brand. For more information, visit .
The Assistant Intellectual Property Counsel will have at least 5 years of experience in a wide-range of intellectual property legal matters from which to: (i) shape and execute intellectual property strategies to support business goals using sound, practical judgment and good business sense; and (ii) counsel and educate business leaders and product marketing teams on intellectual property matters.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Optimize HID's worldwide trademark portfolio, including trademark clearance, prosecution, maintenance, oppositions, and cancellations;
- Perform trademark clearance, including analyzing search reports and providing opinions, guidance, and advice to business teams regarding the availability of trademarks for use and/or registration;
- Advise on copyright related matters including copyright registrations and copyright permission requests in domestic and international jurisdictions;
- Develop strategy and advise regarding domain registrations, gTLD strategy, domain related enforcement matters (UDRPs, notice, takedowns, and settlements), and social media issues;
- Coordinate and conduct legal review of marketing materials and corporate communications to ensure compliance with trademark, copyright, domain, and advertising laws;
- Create and deliver training to business teams regarding various trademark, copyright, domain name, and advertising legal issues and developments;
- Direct external legal counsel and designated service providers;
- Support commercial and M&A transactions, including IP reviews of potential acquisition targets and IP portfolio integration;
- Supervise intake and onboarding of acquired IP portfolios;
- Analyze potential infringement claims and assist with domestic and international enforcement matters, including UDRP proceedings, C&D letters, oppositions, cancellations, settlements, and litigations;
- Draft and negotiate marketing agreements, licenses, settlement or coexistence agreements, agency agreements, content development agreements, and other agreements; and
- Work collaboratively with internal cross-functional teams that support anti-counterfeiting activities.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience
- Juris Doctorate degree (JD) from a top rated law school;
- Admitted to practice law in at least one state; and
- Minimum of 5 years relevant experience in IP and technology law, including at least 3 years prior practice with a nationally recognized IP firm. In-house counsel experience desirable.
- Ability to effectively communicate in the English language verbally and in writing.
- Ability to read and interpret technical journals, specifications, international technical standards, etc.
- Proficient in MS Office applications, such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Familiar with operating systems, such as Windows, etc.
Highlight knowledge, skills, abilities and traits necessary in this role to satisfy our customer's expectations
- Collaborate effectively and positively with others from a variety of business and technical groups;
- Exemplary customer orientation focus and success in creating a superior customer experience;
- Sound legal and business judgment and the ability to make strategic decisions and provide recommendations, occasionally with limited oversight;
- Strong organizational skills, maintaining attention to detail on multiple projects simultaneously and adjusting to changing priorities and deadlines;
- Proactively isolate and prioritize issues to focus on implementing both top-level, strategic solutions as well as the day-to-day initiatives;
- Quickly assimilate and understand complex situations and information, including highly technical information, and be able to distill and succinctly communicate relevant issues to business leaders;
- Efficiently manage intellectual property portfolios and outside counsel globally;
- Establish and monitor legal budgets; and
- Excellent negotiation, drafting, analytical and communication skills.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Employee works primarily in an office environment, within a well-ventilated area, and is exposed to moderate noise levels.
- Compliance to all relevant HID Global policies and procedures related to Quality, Security, Safety, Business Continuity, and Environmental systems.
- Up to 15% travel and fieldwork, including international travel. Therefore employee must possess or be able to acquire a valid passport.
- Must be legally eligible to work the country you are hired.
HID Global is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Minorities/Female/Disabled/Veteran
If you have a disability which limits your ability to apply online, please contact us at email@example.com, to submit your expression of interest in a position with our Company.