Our purpose is to serve the nation with the single most trusted and capable health information network, built to increase patient safety, lower costs and ensure quality care.
What You're Like
You have a relentless desire to get stuff done. A true champion of the collective objective, you're energized by applying your expertise with a group of talented people to achieve something important, together. You're curious and passionate about new technologies and cutting-edge innovation, and you enjoy pulling together complex pieces of a puzzle to deliver a powerful and meaningful end-product. You're a translator between people and teams that don't use the same lingo. You don't settle for short-term gratification-you're into long-haul, incremental efforts that require endurance, patience and next-level collaboration.
What We're Like
Surescripts Network Technology and Operations (NT&O) is comprised of smart people who love to work towards a common goal, often delivering an innovative, industry-leading solution to the healthcare marketplace. We pride ourselves on quality work that's grounded in complete transparency and accountability. When a project goes off the rails-and they do from time to time-we rally around each other to fix it and move on. While our gratification is often the result of a months-long effort, we never tire of delivering a huge result that has an exponentially positive impact on the healthcare system-whether it's quality, cost or patient safety.
OK, But Here's What It's Really Like
Working at Surescripts NT&O, your thinking cap will always be on. You'll be challenged to make sure that disparate, cross-functional pieces come together to create a desired result. You might swarm around some work if you think a milestone is about to be missed. You'll work to quickly understand diverse technologies, and establish and maintain relationships with groups who see and talk about things differently.
The Principal Database Engineer has superior knowledge of the technical concepts available in the database industry and deployed at Surescripts and will use that knowledge to define the technical approach and design of products and major features. The Principal Database Engineer also has superior knowledge of the applications across the enterprise and will use that knowledge to help define technical objectives and goals, and will assist the team of database engineers in meeting objectives which are set by the Manager, Database Engineering and the VP of Information Management & Performance Engineering. Besides managing against objectives, the Principal Database Engineer will take the lead role in conceptualizing new database designs and database system architectures, and in investigating database related production failures.
- Define hardware or software technical approach and design of product or major feature; Implements complex portions of product design.
- Anticipates, identifies, and solves a wide array of database and system problems where information is available and data analysis is required.
- Provide database design direction and work as a design leader of a large, complex project. Plans and organizes project assignments of substantial variety and complexity
- Participate in the definition and implementation of database-related goals, objectives, policies and priorities; Recommend and implement resulting policies and procedures.
- Ensure adherence to database best practices, coding standards, and quality assurance policies and procedures. Promote data management methodologies and standards
- Identify opportunities for improving service delivery methods and procedures; Identify resource needs; Review with appropriate management staff to implement improvements
- Stay abreast of new database trends, technologies and innovations; Define long-term strategic goals for Surescripts' database environments, including architecture vision and standards
- Define short-term tactical solutions to achieve long-term objectives and an overall database technology roadmap
- Create strategies and plans for data security, backup, disaster recovery, business continuity, archiving, and performance
- Ensure that data strategies and architectures are in regulatory compliance
- Identify and evaluate the appropriate tools, software, applications, and systems to support data technology goals. Liaise with vendors and service providers to select the products or services that best meet company goals
- Collaborate with project managers and business unit leaders for all projects involving enterprise data
- Participate in the development of others by facilitating training and providing feedback and guidance
- Bachelor degree in computer science, information systems or computer engineering or related field or equivalent experience
- 8 years of experience as a database developer, database administrator and database systems architect
- 6 + years of work experience across a breadth of applications and relational database systems, including Oracle RAC, Oracle GoldenGate and Oracle DataGuard.
- Experience and strong understanding of the emerging database technologies with Hadoop and Cassandra
- Experience with data architecting, data mining, large-scale data modeling, and business requirements gathering/analysis
- Direct experience implementing enterprise data management and deployment processes and procedures.
- Strong familiarity with metadata management and associated processes. Experience with enterprise repository tools, data modeling tools, data mapping tools, and data profiling tools.
- Demonstrated expertise with repository creation and data and information system life cycle methodologies.
- Experience with business requirements analysis, entity relationship planning, database design, reporting structures; excellent client/user interaction skills to determine application and system requirements.
- Experience with current database programming languages, including SQL, PLSQL, Linux shell scripting, Python, Hive, Cloudera Impala
- Good knowledge of applicable data privacy practices and laws
Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer - Disabled/Vets