Rail Yard Engineer
Responsible for driving trains and ensuring passengers and freight arrive safely and on schedule. Works brakes and switches.
- Drive trains between stations.
- Move trains around a rail yard.
- Check the mechanical condition of locomotives and make adjustments when necessary.
- Document issues with train.
- Order inspections for train.
- Operate locomotive engines.
- Move tons of goods around the country to ports.
- Transport passengers and commuters to destinations.
- Keep freight and passenger trains running properly.
- Travel with conductors and brake operators.
- Work with conductor to remain informed about condition of train.
- Drive diesel-electric engines.
- Check condition of rails.
- Monitor speed, air pressure, battery use, and other instruments to ensure that the locomotive runs smoothly.
- Use throttles and brakes to operate train.
- Communicate with dispatchers over radios to get information about delays or changes in the schedule.
- Move locomotives between tracks.
- Operate small dickeys.
- Drive locomotives to and from maintenance shops.