JOB TITLE: Production Designer
DEPARTMENT: External Relations
LED BY: Director of Brand Creative
HOURS: Full-Time; 40 hours/week (non-exempt)
This position is responsible for supporting our design team in delivering best-in-class creative for our communications work. The Production Designer will be an integral part of our team, with a focus on advertising, marketing, editorial, social media, signage and general communications needs at Second Harvest Heartland. They must thrive in a fast-paced environment with limited supervision, and quickly comprehend and act on changing priorities when necessary. This position must demonstrate superior creative and technical skills, customer service, interpersonal communication, and written communication skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
By enabling Second Harvest Heartland to effectively tell its story, the Production Designer contributes to the organization's innovation, creativity, and continuous improvement. In performing assigned duties and responsibilities, the Production Designer demonstrates the organization's vision and values: we're all in this together; we deliver; we innovate; we lead with our hearts; and we believe differences make us stronger.
- Support the Graphic Designer and Director of Brand Creative in executing deliverables for integrated marketing and communications solutions
- Act as a design resource for creative materials ensuring that detailed requirements are adhered to and that brand guidelines are followed
- Review and proofing of graphic materials before a product is sent to print or marked as complete
- Management of creative file organization
- Support creative asset management, lead coordination of vendor bid processes and quality assurance as necessary
- Provide marketing and project support for externally facing events and meetings
- Support the team's editorial production calendar and ensure deadlines are met
- Edit, format, lay out, design and produce online or physical marketing materials
- Create and disseminate proofs, ensuring version control
- Edit graphics, photographs and other visuals
- Utilize, update and create templates and follow branding policies and style guides
- Demonstrate behavior consistent with SHH's mission, vision, and values daily.
- Understand safety policies and actively promote safe practices in the workplace.
- Ability to build strong, constructive relationships with a diverse range of individual and organizational partners, where common goals can be discovered, jointly shared, and owned for maximum impact.
- Strong commitment to equity; ability to work with individuals from different abilities, ethnicities, genders, races, religions, sexual orientations, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Demonstrate self-reflection on how their own identities, experiences, and biases will impact team culture, employee well-being, and the implementation of the organization's strategic plan.
- Supporting and collaborating on organization-wide equity and diversity efforts.
- Demonstrate the ability to support the work of others. A high level of understanding and respect for the urgency and needs of others. Ability to see how actions impact others. Willingness to put the needs of internal and external customers first.
- Support innovation with an openness to new ideas, learning from others and flexibility to support change as needed.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify issues or areas of improvement and the willingness to address them.
- Maintain confidentiality of personal information of employees, volunteers, clients, donors, and others.
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and positive attitude.
- A combination of education and experience generally attained through a bachelor's degree in a related field(s) (Communications, Journalism, Marketing, Public/Media Relations, Graphic Design) and a minimum of 2-years' experience in professional communications work.
- Intermediate proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, InDesign, and Illustrator to produce print and digital design.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Strong understanding of the role social media and online marketing play in building community support and raising funds for a nonprofit.
- Demonstrated exceptional customer service skills to create an inclusive environment where everyone is welcomed and valued.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Microsoft Office, Office 365, and the ability to learn other computer software programs.
- Ability to work with flexibility, efficiency, and enthusiasm, both individually and as part of a team in a fast-paced, high-demand environment.
- Demonstrated ability to plan, manage and follow through on multiple daily tasks and projects.
- Ability to problem solve and be resourceful.
- A strong sense of design and brand management.
- Strong active listening skills.
- A strong attention to detail for all pieces created.
- In depth knowledge with both digital and general print production methods, and the ability to adapt and learn new methods as needed