Vyant Bio, a NASDAQ-listed biotechnology company, is reinventing drug discovery for complex neurodevelopmental and neurodegenerative brain disorders. Our CNS drug discovery platform combines human patient-derived organoid models of brain disease, biology at scale, and machine learning to i) elucidate disease pathophysiology; ii) formulate key therapeutic hypotheses; iii) identify and validate drug targets, cellular assays and clinically translatable biomarkers to guide candidate molecule selection; and iv) guide patient selection and clinical trial design.
We are seeking a highly motivated Computational Biologist to join our Data Science team within the R&D organization. This role will provide exposure to multiple phases of drug discovery and development, with a mission to leverage information-rich datasets to validate targets, elucidate mechanism of action, and inform patient selection strategy. The successful candidate will interact closely with colleagues across the company, and be a key contributor on a multidisciplinary, cross-site R&D team.
Scope: The Research and Development Intern will assist in day-to-day tasks related to the drug discovery and in-vitro screening efforts at our Maple Grove, MN facility. The ideal candidate will be a highly motivated, driven and team-oriented individual with a solid understanding of biology, neuroscience, or related fields.
- Culture, expand, and passage mammalian stem cells, iPSCs, and neural co-cultures
- Maintain patient-derived brain organoid cultures for platform development, disease phenotyping, and drug screening
- Conduct media changes and compound dosing using manual and automated equipment
- Prepare biological reagents and buffers, aliquot biological samples, autoclave samples, conduct routine lab maintenance and cleaning
- Support data and statistical analysis using diverse software suites (Microsoft office, GraphPad Prism, JMP)
- Create and maintain experimental documentation
- Participate in and lead journal club discussions related to our key research areas
- Support cross-site and cross-functional drug discovery core team research and data analysis
EXPERIENCE & EDUCATION REQUIREMENTS
- Working towards a degree in Biology, Biochemistry, or related field currently completing sophomore or junior year
- Familiarity with basic research techniques such as flow cytometry, immunofluorescence, bioassays, or microscopy.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to follow complex instructions and carry out tasks.
- Works a minimum of 30+ hours per week during the summer.
- Desire to work with human derived stem cells using aseptic technique.
- Ability to follow Good Laboratory/Documentation Practices and complete paperwork.
- Flexible and willing to perform a variety of tasks to meet the needs of the business.
- Must be detail oriented with strong verbal communication, interpersonal and problem-solving skills.
- Great work ethic with potential for long-term employment.
- Ability to be flexible to the time requirements of working with living cells. This includes possible work on holidays and weekends as needed.