The Sr Engineer applies in-depth technical knowledge and expertise to complex engineering and construction projects and in resolving emergent issues.
Is depended upon regularly in one or more areas of engineering expertise with in-depth knowledge in related field or wide breadth of engineering knowledge in general fields.
Understands engineering technology and process concepts for the organization and processes.
Work is reviewed from a long-term perspective and mainly for results.
Establishes most effective solution to problems.
Sought out for solutions that are acted on as a final technical basis for decisions.
May be subject to shift work.
A four year Bachelor of Science degree in an engineering discipline or related applied science discipline (see approved list) from an ABET accredited institution plus eight (8) years working experience in Engineering-related positions.
Materials Science/Metallurgy, Physics, Chemistry, Math, Nuclear, Electrical, Mechanical, Civil, Electronics, Computer Science, Environmental, Chemical, Architectural, Structural.
(A four-year bachelor of Engineering Technology degree is not considered an automatic equivalent for a B.S. degree in Engineering.
A review of the degree program curriculum must be completed by Engineering department management.)
Preferred Special Skills, Knowledge or Qualifications:
Problem analysis/resolution techniques.
Knowledge of applicable codes, standards, practices, methods and safety standards in the area of applicable engineering discipline.
Experience in the utility industry.
Experience in nuclear industry for jobs at Palo Verde.
Professional Engineer licensure.
Any PVNGS employee may be called upon to serve as a member of the Emergency Response Organization (ERO) and will be expected to fulfill their obligation as an ERO member.
Any PVNGS employee may be called upon to support a refueling or short-notice outage.
This includes line roles and responsibilities as necessary to execute outage activities.
These are conditions of employment at PVNGS.
Fossil Generation requirement:
For Four Corners Civil Engineering positions responsible for the site's Earthen Dams, Professional Engineering registration is required by the state.
1) Develops and applies unique solutions and applications to a broad range of technical issues and problems (solutions that typically require original and creative approaches).
Makes decisions and recommendations that have a moderate to significant effect on the overall organization performance.
2) Prepares complex engineering plans, designs, analysis, specifications, cost estimates, evaluations, studies, technical reviews, investigations and verifications.
Ensures engineering analyses, design, project control, schedule commitments or oversight work is technically sound, cost effective, and in compliance with established standards, codes, and regulations.
Checks and reviews analysis, evaluations, and investigations of others.
3) Integrates the many interrelated elements of complex projects that are broad in scope, require considerations not previously encountered and requires interpretation and/or modification to guidelines.
Complies with design, regulatory, operating and maintenance requirements.
Identifies potential schedule or quality problems and initiates corrective action.
4) Interfaces with customers and other departments to ensure project objectives are understood and that work scope meets customer requirements, budget and schedule.
Contacts customers and various levels of management to obtain or present technical data.
Presents the results of designs, studies projects (in terms of new techniques) or approaches to subordinates, colleagues, management and customers.
5) Provides technical guidance, leadership and support to less experienced engineers.
6) Assists the organization in problem solving, as needed, by critically challenging assumptions and decisions to ensure the most optimal solutions and strategies are implemented.
Assists in developing long-range strategies for significant site problems.
7) Leverages industry and organization resources to resolve key technical issues.
Develops a path forward to address these issues including bridging strategies.
May interface with outside agencies and regulatory authorities.
8) May plan and coordinate programs and large-scale engineering projects or multiple medium-scale projects while acting as a technical specialist for a specific engineering field.
May be responsible for:
all aspects of work scope; directing consultants; conducting feasibility studies; determining staff, cost estimates and resource requirements; and recommending engineering criteria.
9) Monitors projects and recommends modifications to increase operating efficiency and /or reviews design and documentation of complex projects to ensure compliance with design specifications, schedules and any regulatory requirements.
May develop, negotiate and manage contracts and contract revisions.
10) May research new developments and technology and make recommendations to management on their feasibility for Company operations.
LAST REVISION DATE: 5/2/2022
Export Compliance / EEO Statement
This position may require access to and/or use of information subject to control under the Department of Energy's Part 810 Regulations (10 CFR Part 810), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR) (15 CFR Parts 730 through 774), or the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) (22 CFR Chapter I, Subchapter M Part 120) (collectively, 'U.S. Export Control Laws'). Therefore, some positions may require applicants to be a U.S. person, which is defined as a U.S. Citizen, a U.S. Lawful Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), a Political Asylee, or a Refugee under the U.S. Export Control Laws. All applicants will be required to confirm their U.S. person or non-US person status. All information collected in this regard will only be used to ensure compliance with U.S. Export Control Laws, and will be used in full compliance with all applicable laws prohibiting discrimination on the basis of national origin and other factors. For positions at Palo Verde Nuclear Generating Stations (PVNGS) all openings will require applicants to be a U.S. person.
Pinnacle West Capital Corporation and its subsidiaries and affiliates ('Pinnacle West') maintain a continuing policy of nondiscrimination in employment. It is our policy to provide equal opportunity in all phases of the employment process and in compliance with applicable federal, state, and local laws and regulations. This policy of nondiscrimination shall include, but not be limited to, recruiting, hiring, promoting, compensating, reassigning, demoting, transferring, laying off, recalling, terminating employment, and training for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, disability, age, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, protected veteran status, or any other classification or characteristic protected by law.
For more information on applicable equal employment regulations, please refer to EEO is the Law poster. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of every person hired to work in the United States, refer to E-Verify poster. View the employee rights and responsibilities under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA).
Arizona Public Service is a smoke free workplace.