Position title: Field staff, Bemidji office
Staff line relationship: Reports directly to the manager of field services or designee; position is part of the TEMPO bargaining unit
Position function: To help leaders and members of Educational Support Professional (ESP) and K-12 teacher unions to build strong, viable organizations through leadership training and development. Coordinate and deliver the resources of Education Minnesota, National Education Association and American Federation of Teachers. Promote membership in, and an ongoing commitment to, Education Minnesota, NEA and AFT. Assist locals in the development and implementation of programs and activities related to membership growth, professional issues, collective bargaining, member rights, political action, and community partnerships. Organize the unorganized education employee.
Provide advice, local and member training, and appropriate professional assistance to members and locals, including the following and other such duties as assigned:
1) In membership promotion – assist all locals with a systematic on-going program of membership promotion, retention, and recruitment. Assist in organizing unorganized education employees.
2) In negotiations – a) assist all locals in implementing state and local goals; b) coordinate assistance to local negotiators from the negotiations department and other areas of Education Minnesota, NEA and AFT; and c) may serve as local negotiator.
3) In member rights – work to guarantee members their rights through a) training local leaders in the recognition and processing of grievances; b) preparing for and representing members and locals at administrative hearings such as fair share, school board, unit clarifications, and grievance proceedings; and c) counseling members and locals in achieving individual human rights as provided by statute, rules, practice, negotiations or contract.
4) In communications – assist in developing a viable internal and external communications program designed to perpetuate a consistent flow of member and local information.
5) In legislative and political action – assist local leaders in developing and implementing an effective local lobbying and political action program.
6) In professional issues – a) assist all locals in implementing state and local goals; and b) coordinate assistance to local leaders and members from the professional issues department and other areas of Education Minnesota, NEA and AFT.
7) Coordinate the day-to-day operations of the office including direction of support staff, and the office budget where applicable, after consultation with the appropriate supervisor.
8) Assist in recruiting participants, on an ongoing basis, for all Education Minnesota workshops, conferences, as well as Education Minnesota’s fall Professional Conference.
9) Participate in personal/professional growth and staff development opportunities in consultation with the appropriate supervisor.
10) Promote and assist locals with the integration of the Education Minnesota’s strategic goals and objectives in local programs.
11) Accept additional assignments from the director of field services and/or designee.
1) A bachelor's degree required plus teaching experience preferred. Other combinations of degree and experience may be considered.
2) Experience including, but not limited to; professional issues, negotiations, political action, grievance processing, local and member training, member consultation skills and experience in working with elected leaders at all levels is desirable.
3) Must be willing to maintain residency within the assignment area.
4) Must have a valid Minnesota driver’s license.
5) Must have an active personal credit card.
Education Minnesota is an equal employment opportunity employer
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), the following is provided: the position requires use of clear and articulate speech; ability to read and comprehend written and oral directions; ability to effectively deal with tight deadlines; sitting for long periods, stooping, bending, reaching and standing for long periods; repetitive movement with hands and wrists; use of computer keyboard; and carrying materials (up to 5 lb. and occasionally up to 40 lb.).
Deadline: June 26
Please apply online at: https://home.eease.adp.com/recruit/?id=5458121
41 Sherburne Ave.
St. Paul, MN 55113
October 05, 2012