Hmong American Partnership (HAP) is a social service and community development organization whose mission is to empower the community to embrace the strengths of our cultures while achieving our potential
. HAP accomplishes its mission by:
- Improving the lives of individuals and families in our diverse communities by providing culturally sensitive social services.
- Strengthening neighborhoods by providing housing, community, and economic development opportunities.
- Promoting the rich heritage of our ethnic communities.
HAP’s vision is to reach out to the world with profound social, economic, and educational transformation.
: Economic and Community Development
Primary Function of the Position
Hmong American Partnership is seeking a dynamic, high performance team leader that seeks a challenging, fast paced work culture. We are experiencing outstanding growth having grown from a $5 million to $7 million agency in less than two years. This position is expected to develop and drive economic development strategies that continue to grow the organization in the areas of financial services and products that include: Individual Development Accounts, Revolving Business Loan Fund, Secured Credit Cards, Housing Down Payment Assistance, and Financial Literacy Education. This position, working with department managers, will drive strategies that carry out new social enterprise activities that include: HAP’s Thrift Store, Community Grocery Store, and other economic development activities. The candidate must demonstrate a strong work ethic, as well as integrity, accountability, and excellence in previous work experiences.
The best candidate for this position is someone who can align him/herself to our HAP Culture which includes: creating high impact, driven to be a high performer/achiever, innovative, drives towards results/outcomes, and is data savvy. The successful candidate has experience at all levels of economic development with specific expertise in business development, land acquisition and planning, redevelopment, marketing and financial background, and administration and management of multi-million dollar federal programs. Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer, this position is responsible for the strategic direction and activities of the development department and the supervision of at least seven staff. Key responsibilities include:
- Direct all economic activities that include: business development, microenterprises, marketing, financial classes, and more
- Lead and direct all efforts of HAP’s CDFI Certification including its approval and on-going certification
- Lead and direct all efforts in the creation and implementation of HAP’s Credit Union and Financial Services
- Supervise and lead a department team of staff and interns/graduate students
- Cultivate relationships with current and new partners that leverage and promote HAP’s services
- Develop collaborative relationships and partnerships with the business community and key stakeholders in economic development arena
- Oversee and direct the on-going data management software required for programs, e.g. CounselorMax, HMIS
- Participate and work collaboratively with department leaders to plan, prepare, and implement agency-wide initiatives that support economic development goals
- Direct the efforts of staff in program goals, report writing, communication protocols and processes, and evaluations that support funder driven outcomes
- Work closely with development staff in the submission of proposals
- Analyze program activity data to help strengthen economic and agency-wide activities
Education and Experience
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision in multiple locations
- Demonstrated ability to perform as a team member
- The following attributes, experiences, and knowledge are essential: creativity and curiosity, passion and enthusiasm, integrity and empathy, a sense of humor, and a strong professional ethic
- Computer literacy, knowledge of a variety of software, programs and office technologies including data analysis tools, experience in CounselorMax and HMIS preferred
- Professional written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills is a must
- Demonstrated ability to manage and track multiple projects/reports simultaneously
- Ability to work with diverse staff and organizations, especially knowledge of immigrant, refugee and New American communities is a plus
- Effective leadership for ensuring the entire agency’s integration of programs
- Willingness and capacity to work a flexible schedule and extended hours during periods of intense activity
- Knowledge of the barriers both staff and participants confront on a daily basis and the drive, curiosity and commitment to finding solutions to these barriers
- Degree or equivalent experience: B.A. Required with a minimum of 10+ years of relevant economic development experience or a M.A. degree and a minimum of five years experience in a role of increasing responsibility and leadership
- Must have strong experience and credentialing in the financial and business arena
- Must have strong experience in economic development activities that are within a broad set of program areas that include: employment services, housing and economic development, children and family services, health and wellness, education services, and social enterprises
- Must demonstrate ability to expand businesses and programs including ability to increase revenue through economic development activities
- Must be an excellent public speaker, presenter, facilitator, and leader
- Must have excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Specialized training in: MS Office and Software, economic development software