Provide in person technical support by troubleshooting hardware, software, networking, telephony and other technological equipment; diagnose and solve problems; perform maintenance and support other technology related issues as assigned.
Information Technology (IT).
Report to the Technology Services Manager and receive daily work coordination and technical direction from the Lead Field Service Support Technician.
This position will be posted until October 11.
- High school graduation,
- Three years of hands on work experience in the technical field involving the installation, troubleshooting and maintenance of Windows and Apple hardware, software, peripherals, operating systems and local are network environments, and
- Must have A+ certification.
- Windows or Apple desktop support certified / preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Some knowledge of local area networks and related technologies.
- Excellent skills working with Microsoft Office products and other hardware and software industry standards.
- Excellent communication skills, verbal written and listening, including the ability to communicate effectively with individuals of varying levels of technology knowledge and skills.
- Good customer service and problem solving skills.
- Considerable ability to interact effectively with both building and district staff representing diverse cultural, ethnic and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Considerable ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Ability to read, understand and follow technical and instructional documentation.
- Ability to work as a member of a team.
- Ability to work with detailed information.
- Ability and willingness to learn new technical skills relating to service desk functions.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks and respond to changing priorities.
- Ability to safely lift and carry objects weighting fifty-five pounds.
- Ability to crawl under furniture to make computer connections.
- Ability to climb stairs.
- Ability to work in confined spaces.
- Must have access to a reliable means of transportation in order to travel to multiple sites during the day.
Promotion and Open (Pass/Fail)
Practical - Weight 70%
Oral Interview - Weight 30%
A civil service test will be administered to create a promotion list and a open entrance list (if necessary). Human Resources reserves the right to decide if there will be a need for an open entrance list. If a sufficient number of promotion candidates apply for the exam, the exam will be administered to promotional candidates prior to those who do not meet promotion requirements.
The names of all applicants who pass the examination shall be placed on an eligible list and shall remain on the list and will be considered for vacancies that become available in the next year. Human Resources will notify you of the test date and schedule after applications are screened.
The essential functions include, but are not limited to the following fundamental job duties:
The Field Service Support Specialist performs IT support work in the field and directly supports the Service Desk. The Field Service Support Specialists will operate as region-oriented support teams and will travel as required to Saint Paul Public Schools sites and programs. Specific duties performed include the following
- Provide respectful and courteous customer service.
- Install, maintain, configure and troubleshoot district computers, peripherals and technology equipment to the Information Technology Department approved standards.
- Create, track, resolve, and close tickets for daily work.
- Respond to customer field support tickets routed via the Service Desk and/or Lead Field Service Support Technician assigned tickets and according to the Service Level Agreement.
- Follow guidelines, policies in the Standard Operating Procedures manual, the Service Level Agreement and the Operating Level Agreement of the Information Technology Department.
- Attend meetings, trainings, and undergo certification processes required by the Information Technology Department.
- Keep track of time spent working on tickets in the Service Desk Support System.
- Provide detailed notes in the ticket work log.
- Gather information in order to understand the business impact of each service call.
- Troubleshoot basic and complex customer issues as assigned by Service Desk and Lead Field Service Support Technicians.
- Read and follow technical manuals, maintain knowledge on current industry trends, and follow the Service Desk knowledge base articles in daily operations.
- Install new technologies.
- Move technology from one location to another.
- Add new components to existing systems.
- Make changes or adjustments to existing systems such as performing upgrades and maintenance work.
- Complete physical inventories of computer equipment.
- Provide regular updates to the Service Desk Support Technician who must maintain Total Contact Ownership for each customer case.
- Contribute to the District's inclusive workplace efforts by fostering a safe, welcoming and respectful environment.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Pay,Benefits, & Work Schedule
This is a 10 month position working 40 hours per week.
Salary and benefits are in accordance with the AFSCME negotiated labor agreement. The labor agreement and salary schedule can be found at . The minimum rate of pay for this position is $19.16 per hour.
Benefits are available to new employees after 30 days of active employment. Benefits include medical insurance, life insurance, sick leave, pension plan, tax-free retirement account, and flexible spending account. Some employee groups also receive vacation, dental insurance and disability insurance. A benefits summary is available at .
Transcript - Unofficial transcripts are accepted at the time of hire. You must submit official transcripts within 30 days of your start date. Formal credential evaluation is required for post-secondary education completed outside of the United States.
Veteran's Preference - If you are an eligible veteran applying for a job where veteran's preference applies and wish to claim Veterans Preference you must submit a legible copy of your DD214 to the Human Resource Department with your employment application. If your claim is approved, five or ten additional points will be added to your final passing score.
Criminal Background Investigation and Reference Checks - Reference checks and a criminal background investigation will be completed as a condition of hire for all new employees and for former employees who have not been employed by the District for more than six months.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Saint Paul Public Schools is an equal opportunity employer and supports an inclusive workplace environment.
SPPS is committed to an equitable workforce where all employees represent this commitment through equitable practices in their job position.